‘Tis the season for caring and sharing, with the holiday season definitely in full swing, which means an over abundance of rich foods, many of which are not healthy for our four-legged friends …..actually many of them are not healthy for two-legs either, but we won’t dwell on that (or the fact that we stuffed ourselves at Thanksgiving)!
Holiday staples that are hazardous to pets include your turkey, which is usually basted in tasty herbs and spices that would likely upset her stomach. The fatty skin, and added salty brine isn’t good for her. Resist her begging looks and don’t share more than a small, (very small), bit of turkey breast, or you risk causing a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas which requires immediate medical attention. .
When the turkey is gone, the bones that remain are NOT good chew toys ….they are brittle choking hazards that usually splinter if chewed. Be mindful of any bones on the table, kitchen counter, or trash, so your inquisitive pooch doesn’t make himself a bone buffet.
What do you put in your stuffing? This is a dish that usually includes some onions, mushrooms, garlic, and butter, none of which your dog should have. And then there’s the gravy, often loaded with garlic, onions, spices and herbs that are not safe for dogs. Since garlic is a member of the onion family (as far as dogs are concerned), garlic bread is also a no-no for them Sausage also contains onions, garlic, and other spices harmful to a dog’s health.
Raisins should never be given as a treat, and fruit with seeds or pits should be avoided, because they inflame the intestines. No plums, peaches, or grapes either!
If you bake for the holidays, it is important to NOT leave yeast dough on the counter unattended. Dogs will eat anything, and if yeast dough sits in his stomach, it can expand due to the warm, moist environment which can cause stomach upset, bloat, and twisting of the stomach. Yeast dough which ferments in the stomach can morph into alcohol and carbon dioxide which can become toxic very quickly as it is rapidly absorbed into the dog’s G.I. tract.
Most cooks know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but dogs are curious creatures, and can often snag a chuck of chocolate off the table or counter. Theobromine and caffeine are two components in chocolate that stimulate the nervous system and cause severe symptoms.
Xylitol is a popular sugar substitute used in a ton of products, including baked goods, some peanut butters, gums, mints, chewable vitamins Life threatening conditions can result when ingested by dogs,
Both pumpkin and sweet potatoes are good for dogs, but at the holiday season, many people add cinnamon and nutmeg to their pumpkin or sweet potato dishes. Not good for the dogs!
Dogs shouldn’t be eating desert anyway, but some are worse than others. Pecan pie contains nuts which can cause muscle spasms and weakness of the legs, and is also loaded with sugar, nutmeg, and other not-so-dog friendly ingredients. (Nutmeg is added to many holiday desserts and is toxic to our canine companions.) Walnuts and macadamia nuts should be kept out of paw’s reach..
You certainly don’t intend to feed your dog rotted, moldy food, but trashcans are treasure cans for canines. Your overflowing trashcan can contain moldy foods that produce harmful mycotoxins, which can do serious damage to your dog’s health.
If you serve alcoholic beverages, keep them away from your dog. Accidental ingestion can cause severe coma, slowed respiration, and a life-threateningly low blood sugar in your dog.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested something poisonous, contact your veterinarian right away, but prevention is a better solution. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!