Dogs go head over tails for these delicious homemade snacks.
Want more recipes? Dogs can’t get enough?
Support the shelter by purchasing your very own TLC Canine Shelter Cookbook. It’s filled with a ton of delicious doggie treats.
Just send us an email if you’re interested! Thanks!
Buddy Boy Dog Biscuits (Makes about 40 cookies)
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 c oats (quick cooking oatmeal)
- 1/2 c yellow cornmeal
- 1 t sugar
- 1/3 c shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 t chicken/beef bouillon (dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
- Note: If you have cubed bouillon, substitute this for 1 cube.
- Cut shortening into flour. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing after each addition.
- Knead dough for approx 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out to approx 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place biscuit onto plate leaving about 1/2 inch between each cookie.
- Microwave for approx 1:30 minutes, flip cookies, and microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Note: Cookies should feel firm to the touch.
- Allow cookies to completely cool on a flat service before bagging.
- Freeze or refrigerate cookies afterwards to prevent molding.
- 2 cups of flower (preferably wheat flour)
- 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese
- ½ cups of canola oil
- 4 or 5 tablespoons of water
Combine ingredients and mix well to form a stiff dough. Pinch off small hunks of the dough and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly with your thumb, and bake for about 18 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup oatmeal
Mix thoroughly. Drop walnut sized pieces on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Gourmet Salmon Crunches
- 1 – 14 ounce can of salmon. DO NOT DRAIN
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup water
- Mix thoroughly and drop by SMALL spoonfuls on greased baking sheet. (Dough will be sticky). For training size treats, you can get 30 on the average baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. (For extra crunchy, leave in for a minute or two longer)
- Cool completely before you let your dog indulge! (These freeze well!)
P-Nut Butter Rounds (Makes approx. 40 cookies)
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c oatmeal
- 1/4 c wheat germ
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 c peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 1/4 c corn oil
- 1/4 c honey
- Substitute: 1/2 c sugar in 1/8 c of water
- 1/2 c water
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls to 1/4 inch thick using a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before bagging. Store in air-tight container.
Simply Scrumptious Simple Biscuits
- ½ cup of cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons of oil
- 2/3 cups meat broth
- 2 cups of wheat flour
Combine ingredients and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Sweet Potato Chews:
- Raw Yam or Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potato or yam…no need to peel.
- Cut into thin slices (the thinner the slice, the shorter the cooking time) and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for about 3 hours for slightly chewy treats or bake longer to get them crunchy. (If you have a dehydrator, pop them in there instead of the oven.)